As an industry leader, we have received several inquiries about what people can do in their homes and businesses regarding indoor air quality (IAQ). Homeowners want clean air, but many don’t know the layers involved to create it, nor do they realize that there are many options to choose from, mainly:
- UV Lights
- Humidity Control
High performing filters, also known as media filters, provide additional filtration against dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, and pollen. They significantly reduce the amount of particles, compared to a standard filter, providing cleaner air. Ionization of particles causes them to drop to the floor. Ultraviolet lights kill bacteria and viruses. Humidifiers maintain the humidity level in the home. In dry regions or areas with seasonal dryness, they create comfort, reduce your susceptibility to colds and viruses, and preserve wood furnishings and floors against warping or cracking.
Let’s explore the different options for clean air in your home, how they work, and the products we have available to install.
The air filter helps your heating and cooling system do its job, keeps it running efficiently and protects it so it will last longer. Filters also help to keep dust from building up in your ducts or being blown into other rooms of your house. Clean air filters save energy and money.
Your filter’s MERV Rating is a good way to help judge the effectiveness of the filter. MERV means Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, which was developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioner Engineers. MERV values vary from 1 to 16. The higher the MERV value is, the more efficient the filter will be in trapping airborne particles. Another consideration is air flow through your HVAC system. Leaving a dirty air filter in place or using a filter that is too restrictive may result in low air flow and possibly cause the system to malfunction.
Pleated Media Filter
- Merv 10 pleated media filter and filter cabinet. Catches pollen, dust mites, mold spores and pet dander.
Healthy Climate Filtration System
- MERV 16 carbon filter removes 99.9% of mold spores, pollen, dust, and pet dander. Filter life up to one year.
- Removes more than 95% of fine particles absorbed by the lungs down to 0.3 micron.
- Removes or destroys 90% of flu and cold viruses, infectious bacteria like MRSA and other living microorganisms down to 0.01 micron.
- Destroys household odors and VOC's from sources like cooking fumes, pets, cleaning supplies, paints and solvents, and carpeting and upholstery.
- Replacement kits for lights and filter.
- Cleans the air in your home better than any other single system you can buy.
Infinity® Air Purifier DGAPA
- Whole-home air purifier that uses Captures & Kills® technology to trap particles and inactivate them with an electrical charge. It inactivates 99% of select airborne pathogens trapped by the filter, including coronavirus, bacteria and other pathogens.
Ionizers send streams of negative ions directly into the air. Charged airborne particles are allowed to land on surfaces in the house (where dusting removes them from the room). As a byproduct of the ionization process, these types of units may produce trace amounts of ozone, a lung irritant. Ionizers can help protect you and your family from environmental hazards like chemicals, bacteria, mildew, viruses (not tested with the COVID-19 virus), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and fine particulates.
The ionizer we offer is the NuCalgon iWave-R. The product requires little to no maintenance. However, we want to be clear that no product has been certified to specifically kill COVID-19 or prevent contamination. The product has tested effective against other virus strains with a 90-99% kill rate at the unit.
Nu-Calgon i-Wave-R Air Purifier
- Flexible design with no replacement parts
- Kills mold, bacteria and viruses
- Reduces allergens, odors, smoke, static electricity and other airborne particles
- Keeps coil cleaner
- With technology installed in over 100,000 applications, iWave-R is the world’s first self-cleaning, no maintenance needlepoint bi-polar ionization generator designed specifically for treating air in residential duct A/C systems. As the air flows past the iWave-R, positive and negative ions actively purify the supply air, killing mold, bacteria and viruses in the coil and living space. The ionization process also reduces allergens, smoke and static electricity, as well as controlling odors and other particles in the air without creating ozone or any harmful byproducts.
Reme Halo Air Purifier
- Dual ionizers to reduce airborne particulates (dust, dander, pollen, mold spores)
- Kills up to 99% of bacteria, mold and viruses
- REME® reduces sneeze germs by 99% in the time a sneeze can reach three feet.
- New zinc ions kill 99% of viruses on surfaces
Ultraviolet (UV) Lights
UV lights are effective, but they work in a specific range. They'll kill organic growths, such as mold or bacteria, but they have no effect on dust, pet dander or other allergens. UV lights are particularly effective in humid climates, where evaporator coils can easily get wet. There are two types of UV lights for HVAC systems, Coil Sterilization (listed below) and Air Sterilization (listed in the filtration options). In Coil Sterilization, a “stick type” light is installed inside the return air duct and sterilizes the air handler coil. A coil sterilization UV light runs 24/7 and is the most common type of HVAC UV light.
Carrier Two Lamp UV Light UVLCC2LP
- Double bulb germicidal ultraviolet lamp can kill mold and bacteria that may form on your indoor cooling coil.
- Needs replacement bulbs every year, consider the maintenance costs.
Honeywell Smartlamp UV Air Treatment System, Dual UV100E2009/U
- Helps create a more energy-efficient home and improve air quality by reducing the amount of mold spores and airborne bacteria distributed by your HVAC system.
- The device also features a five-year warranty.
- Bulbs should be replaced every year, consider the maintenance costs.
Keeping your home’s humidity in the optimal range is important for maintaining proper indoor air quality. Dry air lowers your body’s immune response, cracks your home’s wood furnishings, and dries out your skin, eyes, and nose. During winter months, properly humidified air can reduce asthma flares, the transmission of airborne viruses, and help you sleep better.
However, keeping your home at the optimal humidity level can be a challenge. Every house has air leakage and the colder it is outside, the more air exchanges naturally happen in your home. Many times, homes will not reach optimum humidity levels due to air leakage in the winter. Ideal humidity levels for human comfort and health are between 40% and 50%. Running a humidifier can cost a few cents per day up to $10 per day.
Aprilaire 600 Large Bypass Humidifier
- Up to 17 gallons per day for up to 4,000 square foot home
Aprilaire 700 Powered Large Bypass Humidifier
- Up to 18 gallons per day for up to 4,200 square foot home
Aprilaire 800 Steam Humidifier
- Up to 34 gallons per day for up to 6,200 square foot home
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
Please contact our offices by phone or email, for more information regarding our full range of healthy air products and home comfort services. We are available to answer any questions that you may have.